We have church services at 9.30am & 5.30pm* every Sunday at 102-104 MacNamara Street, Edge Hill.
Whether you’re exploring church for the very first time or simply new to our church, we would love to have you join us!
We’re convinced that the best way to live is with the peace and joy that comes from following Jesus. And now, more than ever, we each need a safe and welcoming community that we can call home. Wherever you are at in life, we’d love to journey with you at the pace that’s right for you.
We would love to have you join us in person on a Sunday! We have church services every Sunday at 9.30am & 5.30pm*. We meet in our building at 102-104 MacNamara St, Edge Hill.
* Our 5.30pm service meets during school terms, but does not meet during QLD school holidays. On these weeks you can still come to our 9.30am service which meets every Sunday of the year.
If you’re unable to join us in person you can start by watching online. However the best experience of The Lakes Church is in person, and we’d love to meet you. Keep reading for more information about our services.
Where to go when you arrive
Our friendly team will meet you at the entrance at the front of the building. There will be someone there to greet you and answer any questions you have.
If you have kids
We value children and want to encourage them to grow in life and faith.
On Sunday at our 9.30am services we have a special program that runs in the hall called Lakes Kids. When you arrive for a service our team will help you check your kids in to Lakes Kids. You will have an opportunity take a look, meet the team and see where your kids will be during the service. When the service is over you can collect your kids again. You can find out more about Lakes Kids, the age range of the program and our approach to safety here.
To save time when you arrive, you can fill out a family registration form in advance here.
If you have a baby or toddler we have parent rooms in our auditorium so your little ones can play if they are restless. We don’t mind noise and movement during our services, but the rooms are available for your comfort as a parent.
On Sunday at our 5.30pm services your kids stay with you in the auditorium. We have activity sheets available for them, and they can also play with you in the one of the parent rooms.
What to wear to a service
We are very relaxed here in the tropics and you will most likely see people on stage wearing shorts and thongs. So just wear whatever you feel most comfortable in!
What to bring to a service
You don’t need to bring anything. We have complimentary refreshments after the service, and complimentary bibles if you are interested. You don’t need to have a bible during the service and you don’t need to know anything about the bible to be able to follow along.
What happens during a service
– We sing together about who God is and what he is like.
– We take communion as a way to remember Jesus’ life, death and resurrection. Communion is open to anyone who wants to remember and thank Jesus Christ for what he has done. You don’t have to have done anything special to join in.
– One of our pastors or leaders will give a short message to teach and encourage you from the Bible on an aspect of life or faith. Even if you are not a Christian, we are confident you will still be encouraged and get value for your life from the message.
– There are free refreshments after the service. If you have kids they will love exploring the nature playground while you chat!
We have a carpark on MacNamara Street and there is plenty of street parking available along both MacNamara Street and Greenslopes Street.
Take a Taxi or Uber to the corner of MacNamara and Greenslopes Streets, Edge Hill. If you take the bus, you can use Translink’s Journey Planner.
If you are not ready to come to church yet or if you are just curious, you can ask us questions here. You can also watch a service online. You might be interested in our book and series based on common questions people have about religion, church and faith. Check it out here.
Do you have questions we haven’t answered?
The Lakes Church is a great place to explore Christianity, ask questions and make new friends in Cairns. Please get in touch, we’d love to chat.