Jo Koskela continued our series ‘The secrets we keep’ by talking about Pornography. Jo is a counsellor and presenter with Living Wisdom.
We all have hidden things in our lives that we’d love to change or that are affecting our relationship with God and our relationships with each other. We’re unlocking those secret places and allowing God to speak into our lives in those areas.
We have created a sheet with support options for you throughout this series. You’ll find it here.
If you are struggling with pornography, there are four things we recommend, to invite the light of Jesus into that dark part of your life:
The most important thing you can do, no matter what your struggle, is tell someone you trust about what is happening. Your struggle can grow in secret, but it can be dealt with if you bring it into the light.
If you’re not sure who else to tell, you can tell one of our pastors or anyone on our team. You can contact us through office to arrange a confidential chat.
USE HELPFUL RESOURCES
* Check out Covenant Eyes for stories, information, software and an app for accountability.
* The books Every Man’s Battle, Every Woman’s Battle, Every Young Woman’s Battle and Every Young Man’s Battle are excellent resources.
* Mark Gungor is excellent, particularly on sexuality and marriage.
* Mark Gungor’s YouTube channel is a helpful resource.
* Not for Kids! is a children’s book to help protect kids online.
* David Riddell, founder of Living Wisdom has a teaching resource on Sexuality & Brokenness.
In her message on Sunday, Jo suggested the following ‘truth coaches’ to use when you are struggling:
* I am a son/daughter of the King and princes/princesses don’t eat out of rubbish bins.
* There are no hopeless situations and there is a good counsellor/friend/mentor to help me out of this pit.
* No one flies to the moon alone. Time to get an army of support.
* This is a destructive way to fix my deeper need. A physical solution NEVER fixes an emotional brokenness.
* Will power is about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike.
* I want to be proud of myself and this indulgence will never allow that.
GET PROFESSIONAL COUNSELLING
Counselling can help you find your way out of the struggle you’re in. We can recommend a few different counsellors.
We don’t want the cost of professional counselling to be a barrier to you. If you’re worried about the cost, we have subsidies available. Just contact us and ask about a counselling subsidy.
Liz Jenkins – Life Speak Counselling
Liz counsels from our rooms at the church. Liz uses the Living Wisdom counselling model as well as other models where appropriate. Contact us and we’ll put you in touch with Liz.
Jo Koskela – Living Wisdom
Jo is a highly experienced counsellor based in Brisbane who has worked with our church many times. Jo is available for counselling by phone or Skype. www.livingwisdom.com.au
Peter Funke – Living Wisdom
Peter is based in South East QLD, and is available for counselling by phone or Skype. libertycounsellingandtraining.com
ASK FOR PRAYER SUPPORT
It always helps to have someone pray specifically with you about what is happening.
The Lakes Church team
Members of our staff team at The Lakes Church are experienced in prayer, dealing with difficult things that might be going on. There is no cost for this. Contact us to make an appointment.
The Pastoral Leaders are our elders and are available to pray for anyone in the church. There is no cost for this. Contact us to make an appointment.
Cairns Healing Rooms
The Healing Rooms are a great, neutral place to go when you are seeking healing or a spiritual breakthrough in your life. You will be prayed for in a non-denominational setting by Christians with healing, prophetic or discernment gifts, who have been trained in safe and responsible prayer and healing. Hours & Cairns location at healingrooms.com. No cost, but donations are accepted.